OpenLayers Blog

All the maps that are fit to blog

Mobile Sprint: Day Two

February 22nd, 2011 by Tim Schaub · 7 Comments

OpenLayers Mobile ExamplesOur examples have always been the richest source of learning material for OpenLayers newcomers. The example search page got a well deserved overhaul today – making it more convenient to find relevant code samples. In addition to the nicer layout for mobile and desktop browsers, you’ll also get results for partial word matches from the search box.

For browsers that support the Geolocation API, the new Geolocate control allows OpenLayers based applications to easily retrieve positions and deal with position updates.

You can now grease up your slippery maps with kinetic panning. By setting the enableKinetic to true on your DragPan control, you’ll build momentum while drag-panning and slowly lose it after releasing the map.

If you’re only targeting touch enabled devices with your mapping application, you can use the new TouchNavigation control. Our default Navigation control is mobile ready by default, but you can generate a smaller build of the library if you’re only handling touch related navigation.

Work continues on other fronts as we design example applications for both jQuery Mobile and Sencha Touch, dig for performance enhancements, explore offline storage strategies, look for ways to support touch-limited devices, and, oh yeah, fix bugs (sorry Android draggers). Keep an eye out for new mobile examples and other updates.

Tags: Features · Sprint

7 responses so far ↓

• 1 Twitter Trackbacks for Mobile Sprint: Day Two [openlayers.org] on Topsy.com // Feb 22, 2011 at 7:42 pm

[...] Mobile Sprint: Day Two openlayers.org/blog/2011/02/22/mobile-sprint-day-two/ – view page – cached We’ve wrapped up our second day in Lausanne, making good progress on a number of fronts. [...]

• 2 Joel Hempenius // Feb 23, 2011 at 6:07 am

Does the kinect example work at your WP7 device over there?
    I was just checking it at my HTC Trophy a minute ago, but the only thing I got was the text and not the map.

Anyway: I just love OL and bringing it to the mobile would be fantastic!

• 3 Linqu // Feb 23, 2011 at 7:01 am

These are really fantastic news! Great mobile support will certanly push the whole OL project.

Is there any plan yet when this feature are bundled in an official new release?

Thanks guys!

• 4 Christopher Schmidt // Feb 23, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Joel: I don’t know what ‘kinect example’ you’re talking about; Perhaps you mean “kinetic”?

One problem with loading the OpenLayers example is, at times, that the examples load a full OpenLayers build, and sometimes (when they’re in the process of rebuilding) a full ‘developer’ build, loading hundreds of files. In general, the IE7 on the WP7 device doesn’t seem to like this very much.

In any case, navigation on IE7 on WP7 is not going to include support for things like the kinetic dragging, but we have been working on an alternative, available from my sandbox and visible on the device on YouTube.

• 5 Xurxo Méndez // Feb 24, 2011 at 4:59 am

It’s a shame not being able to attend there, even when I would probably just contribute with testing… I’m sure you are doing a great job!
    Thanks all!!

• 6 Joel Hempenius // Feb 24, 2011 at 7:22 am

@Christopher:
    Yes I did mean the kinetic example. I’m not a native english speaker, so I was messing it up with the MS Xbox device.

I did check your sandbox example on my Trophy and I like the large buttons for zooming.

But to be honest, I think I won’t use OL for phone development in the near future and use the opensource Mapsui to develop my mapping apps for WP7

• 7 Open Layers & Mobile: aggiornamento « Cesare Gerbino GIS Blog // Mar 8, 2011 at 5:09 pm

[...] http://openlayers.org/blog/2011/02/22/mobile-sprint-day-two/ [...]