Three of us, here at Camptocamp, sprinted three days on OpenLayers. Our goal was two-fold: close tickets for the upcoming 2.11 release, and improve our mobile story, following up on the work done during the mobile sprint (see the previous posts on this blog).
We started out by reviewing patches, and closing tickets, for 2.11. We closed a dozen tickets, getting us much closer to the 2.11 release. Some of the new features now in trunk include:
- New icons for the navigation toolbar, see the navigation toolbar example (patch from Xavier Mamano).
- Support for OpenLS (Location Service Utility), see the OpenLS example (patch from Bart van den Eijnden).
- Remove dependencies between scripts to be able to produce smaller single file builds (patch from Frédéric Junod.
On Day #2 we spent some more time on bug fixing (and ticket closing) for 2.11, and then switched to improving our mobile support.
- We started reviewing Tim Schaub’s Canvas Hit Detection patch. This patch will give us feature selection on Android, it isn’t committed into trunk at time of this writing but Tim will certainly do it in the coming days.
- We worked on feature drawing, refactoring code and tests, making feature drawing more solid in every supported mobile browser. See the draw feature example.
Day #3 was mainly about mobile again.
- And mainly about Android again… we committed patches preventing Android’s default behavior, and researched why Android “flashed” the map when two quick taps, apart from one another, occur. There’s stil some work left for a perfect Android story, but code and knowledge have improved a lot.
- We finished reviewing Tim’s Canvas Hit Detection patch, and reviewed and committed other patches for 2.11.
- We completed “select feature” support, and added support for “drag feature” and “modify feature”. We modified the mobile drawing example to be able to demo these new features. Go check out the mobile drawing example. (in Android or iOS)!
So, overall, lots of progress on the mobile front, and just a few tickets away from OpenLayers 2.11!